Many vacationing tourists in Rhode Island and Massachusetts want to engage with the local scene and will often rent scooters and mopeds to enjoy their surroundings. However, Block Island, Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard tourist-related scooter and moped accidents occur because of numerous reasons including lack of driving experience, unfamiliar surroundings and dangerous roadway conditions.
Mopeds and scooters tend to be an affordable solution, especially compared to renting a car. The narrow streets of quaint villages, tropical islands and family vacationing destinations make two-wheel travel a convenient option. However, these motorized machines can cause significant injuries or fatalities when involved in a Rhode Island or Mass. accident with a car, pickup truck, SUV or van. This is because riders and passengers in MA and RI usually have little more than their clothing and a helmet to provide protection should a serious accident occur in Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard or Block Island.
Unique Risks and Dangerous Conditions
Scooter and moped accidents in Rhode Island and Massachusetts usually happen because small-motorized vehicles are not as easy to spot as an automobile, car, truck, motorcycle or commercial truck. Riders and passengers in Mass and Rhode Island on these motorized scooters are often at the greatest risk by other tourists, residents and visitors driving motor vehicles distracted. In fact, many roads in vacation areas such as Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard or Block Island are filled with automobile (auto) drivers unfamiliar with the local area and common traffic patterns.
It is risky trusting your case to a local lawyer in these vacation spots who normally handle wills, trusts, real estate and local matters. These ‘townie’ type lawyers may be in over their head almost immediately when they are trying to litigate a catastrophic or wrongful death moped crash injury cause of action.
The unique risks involved in riding mopeds and scooters in Massachusetts and Rhode Island and Providence Plantations tend to create potentially dangerous scenarios at nearly any vacation destination. These unique risks include:
• Limited Visibility – The small frame and low stature of mopeds and scooters make them nearly invisible to others on the roadway. Many scooter riders will attempt to maneuver their machine between other vehicles, increasing the potential of being involved in a collision with other drivers. The low profile of the machine makes it nearly invisible to vehicles backing up, turning or making a lane change.
• Quiet Operation – The engines of mopeds and scooters tend to run relatively quiet compared to other motorized vehicles on the roadway. Many times, drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists and others on the road never hear the approaching scooter until it is too late to take evasive action.
• Quick Unexpected Stops – Mopeds, scooters and other small engine two-wheel vehicles often make quick stops at red lights, stop signs and behind other stalled traffic. However, these quick stops tend to confuse other drivers who can easily misjudge distance and the required braking time and space needed to prevent a collision.
In many of these types of accidents, moped and scooter riders and passengers suffer catastrophic injuries or death. As a result, they often need to file a claim for compensation to recoup their losses including medical bills and funeral expenses.
Filing a Claim for Compensation in Rhode Island or Massachusetts
Insurance companies tend to blame scooter and moped riders for accidents, collisions and injuries. This stereotypical, outdated notion of reckless behavior often makes it more challenging for victims to seek and obtain financial compensation in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. This is important because these types of accidents can cause serious injuries including broken bones, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), lost limbs, road rash, bruising, lacerations and disfigurement.
As a result, many injured victims in Mass. or RI will hire a personal injury attorney who specializes in scooter and moped accidents. The amounts of compensation the victims receive are usually adequate to pay for various losses including:
• The costs associated with hospitalization and medical care
• The expense of rehabilitation and physical therapy
• Recouped funds from time away from work while healing
• Intangible damages including pain, suffering, emotional trauma, mental anguish and grief
• Funeral and burial expenses
Handing over the claim which occurred in Block Island, Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard to a reputable Providence Rhode Island personal injury attorney or Boston Massachusetts car accident lawyer who specializes in moped and scooter accidents is a wise decision. The Rhode Island or Boston law firm can help you prove the negligence of other automobile drivers at fault for your injuries.
The RI car accident lawyer can handle every aspect of your case. This is important because of their vast resources to conduct a thorough investigation. This means they will gather evidence, obtain eyewitness accounts and re-create the scene of the accident to ensure you receive maximum compensation for your injuries and losses.
In the event of a fatal moped accident in RI or MA it is important that you retain RI or MA personal injury or car accident lawyers / attorneys who also have experience in wrongful death causes of action. A Rhode Island wrongful death attorney will help the family or loved ones obtain compensation as a result of the deadly / fatal crash.