Many victims of a personal injury or car accidents in RI and MA believe that they can obtain suitable compensation in an out-of-court settlement or jury award by representing themselves in a claim or lawsuit. While self-representation in premises liability, automobile collisions or tractor trailer wrecks might appear on the surface to be an easy endeavor, the insurance carrier in charge of paying harmed individuals for their injuries hire the best legal minds to minimize their financial outcome to the victim.
Statistics indicate that there are five leading factors that prove that hiring legal representation provides a better outcome for the MA and RI victim. They include:
1. Rhode Island Injury Attorneys and Mass. negligence lawyers typically obtain larger amounts of financial compensation for their clients than individuals can acquire on their own.
2. Claims and lawsuits in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for car accident compensation are filled with pitfalls that can often cause the victim all or some of the amount they are owed.
3. Reputable personal injury attorneys and car accident lawyers have years of experience in handling insurance reimbursement claims and dealing with medical liens.
4. Victims in Rhode Island and Mass. handling their own cases often miss filing necessary paperwork before the expiration of the statute of limitations or fail to follow court procedures.
5. Successful Rhode Island personal injury lawyers and RI wrongful death attorneys have honed their negotiation skills and litigation experience to generate larger out-of-court settlements or jury awards based on the true value of the case.
The education of the skilled Massachusetts tort lawyer can provide solid legal advice and counsel to empower you in filing a claim for compensation.
Recoverable Damages in RI and MA
Nearly all individuals wanting to represent themselves in a personal injury case or car accident lawsuit and Mass. and RI are seeking recoverable damages to recoup medical bills and lost wages. However, providence and Boston personal injury attorneys can use complex legal theories to seek damages for compensation to cover all additional losses endured by the victim. There are two specific types of damages that are recoverable by an injured individual. They include:
• Compensatory Damages – The attorney will seek to obtain all compensatory damages for financial compensation. These include any losses and injuries that involve bodily harm, the impact of the victim’s injury in their ability to function. In addition, it will include compensation for their physical pain, inconvenience, mental anguish, medical expenses directly associated with the injuries, lost wages, the loss of capacity to earn a living and any property damage.
• Punitive Damages – Under limited circumstances, the court may allow your attorney to seek punitive damages. This financial award is usually much higher than compensatory damages and used as a way to make an example or punish the wrongdoer for misconduct that is deemed intentional or careless to a high degree to the point that it demonstrates the defendant had a willful disregard for the rights, health and well-being of others. Though awards for punitive damages are rare, many Massachusetts and Rhode Island attorneys will file for it through a lawsuit on behalf of their clients.
Proving Negligence in Providence and Boston MA Injury claims
Many victims of a minor or serious truck, motorycle or car accidents believe they are entitled to receive compensation automatically. However, the legal system requires the victim to prove negligence or intention of others to a claims adjuster or jury at trial. By law, the victim or an auto, bicycle or semi truck crash must prove three specific elements that include:
• An individual or company was negligent
• The negligence was the direct cause of the victim’s injuries
• The injured individual is not negligent in any action that caused their injury
The burden of proof is based on the weight of the evidence or the “preponderance of evidence.” All the facts of the case need to be persuasive including eyewitness accounts, extenuating circumstances and expert testimony. Because of that, it is essential to consider hiring a RI skilled personal injury attorney who specializes in car accident , boating accident and slip and fall claims and personal injury cases.
An experienced RIlaw firm can determine what parties are at fault, the extent of your injuries, the amount of your financial losses, how would a jury will react to the case, any issues with the case and other factors. Nearly all cases involving personal injury in car accidents are handled on a contingency fee basis to avoid the need of paying any upfront fees.
Legal Notice per Rules of Professional Responsibility: The Rhode Island Supreme Court licenses all lawyers and attorneys in the general practice of law, but does not license or certify any lawyer / attorney as an expert or specialist in any field of practice. While this firm maintains joint responsibility, most cases of this type are referred to other attorneys for principle responsibility.